welcome to newdesign
...the magazine that covers the products and processes of design in all its forms
Combining an experienced editorial team, innovative graphic design and contributions from major industry figures, newdesign has established itself as a must-read for anybody connected with the design world. We work hard to gather the most important stories affecting the industry in the UK and worldwide. Constantly striving to improve our coverage, we are committed to bringing you the lowdown on the people, products and issues that are shaping the design industry today. Read more
Subscribe today to start receiving all the information, insight and inspiration that the design world has to offer! An annual subscription to newdesign costs £65 with a special rate of £39 available for students.
You will receive six issues, published bimonthly.
Degree Shows 2014
New Design special supplement on design education. Contains the 2014 degree shows listings.
Location: Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Job title: Product designer / product design engineer
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Alere Toxicology is a global provider of reliable drug, alcohol and healthcare testing products and services. Our vision at Alere Toxicology is ‘Behind Every Test is a Life’ you are encouraged to look behind your role and look at what you are doing for the business as a whole. In this role you will be able to think and act quickly. Our values are Quality, Communication, Accountability, Customer First, Team work & Innovation. We value quick thinkers who make decisions when in complex situations and who suggest new ideas and approaches to get things done.
Our culture is to support and nurture employees and provide in-house training to ensure career development.
Our UK R&D team is a small, tightly-knit group of creative engineers, product designers and scientists. We primarily develop low-cost diagnostic tests and the electronic analysers that work with them.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic recent graduate in Product Design or Design Engineering to help us develop the future of diagnostic testing.
The primary focus of the role will be on the technical development of innovative mechanical and electro-mechanical products.
A successful applicant will demonstrate understanding and experience of mechanical design and development. Our group is also interested in wider-reaching thinking around services and systems, and there also may be opportunities for the applicant in these areas.
We are looking for a candidate with a mechanically biased formal qualification in engineering/design and with minimum of 2-3 years’ experience. We may consider more recent graduate with the right mix of skills.
- Creative ideation and concept development on complex technical problems, alone or in groups
- Ability to work collaboratively in a close-knit multi-disciplinary team
- Self starter, able to work with a minimum of supervision to tight deadlines
- Experienced in the use of 3D CAD (ideally Solidworks) and capable of producing detailed 2D engineering drawings
- A strong ability in designing novel mechanisms and mechanical components.
- Ability to design experiments and test rigs to prove engineering concepts
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques, especially injection molding
- Ability to liaise with our international manufacturing partners
- Clear communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good record-keeping, in line with the regulated nature of our business
- Basic engineering design analysis (e.g calculations, stress analysis)
- Detailed design and specification of components and assemblies for manufacture
- Proven experience of developing products in a commercial environment.
- Understanding of User-centred design techniques
- Knowledge of materials
- Good understanding of prototyping methods
- An understanding of medical device regulations, standards and work practices.
- Knowledge of Fluidic/microfluidic devices
- Medical device development with experience in optics, sensor technologies, and magnetic systems is also advantageous
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE SKILLS AND INTERESTS:
- An interest or skills in Design Strategy / “Design Thinking” or Service Design
- Visual literacy, and ability to produce hand-sketches, visualisations or 3D renderings
- An interest in User Experience and user interface design
- Familiarity with electronics hardware prototyping and a general interest in software would also be advantageous.
- Knowledge of chemistry/bio-chemistry would also be very useful.
- Willingness to travel occasionally to other group sites and to suppliers (including internationally)
Please submit a current CV to Liz Recchia, Recruitment Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
It is a once again a pleasure to introduce the New Design Yearbook. Now in its third year, the 2014 edition is the largest yet and contains updates and reports from leading design companies and support businesses view online
3D Printing Focus
Evolution or Revolution? New Design surveys the sector that is making the headlines with contributions from the leading companies in 3D printing and digital manufacture. view online
100 designs for our 100th issue
We’ve notched up a century. To celebrate, the 100th issue of newdesign magazine includes a special supplement "100 for our hundredth". The supplement only is available to view online
To buy the complete issue print edition please email email@example.com